Friday, May 29, 2009

Today, Utah. Tomorrow, the World. Actually Vegas.

The Utah part of our trip is coming to an end. We will be saying goodbye to Big Love state and spending a night in, yes, Las Vegas. My first trip ever to Las Vegas, and I am spending it the same way I spent my first trip to UK and all my trips to Florida - with my family. It's getting harder, but I'm still not complaining.

I find it a little embarassing that I've lived in California all my life, lived in Los Angeles for five years, and know people who hop the state line all the time to see friends and family, and still I have not been to Las Vegas. My ex-boyfriend went once while we were dating and texted me saying 'We need to do a dirty weekend there one time.' A couple I know got married there, and I still hold a (petty, I know) grudge that I wasn't invited by them or any of our mutual friends. I know about the whole Lucky Luciano/Virginia Hill/Flamingo Hotel debacle from 1947. I've seen Sister Act, Austin Powers, Showgirls and that episode from season one of Six Feet Under where David gets gonorrhea from a male prostitute. I plan to see The Hangover on DVD at the latest. That's the closest I've come to the city where everything stays... in that city.

This is the trip where I bust my Vegas hymen. I don't know why, but it feels like a big deal. I'll say it: I feel lame. I feel like I should be hitting the strip with my man friends, getting really drunk and touching gogo dancers in their private areas. I want to meet a handsome stranger, or two, and go back to their hotel room. I want to not worry about editing myself in front of the people who bore me and are helping my pay for college. Vegas is the kind of place where you're never supposed to even think about that.

If I'm lucky, I'll either see a show or hit some 18-and-over club with my sister. I'm not saying it can't work, I'm just saying I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I could argue that this trip doesn't count. We'll have to see how it goes.

There is a silver lining to this Vegas trip. There's a great line at the end of the movie Hamlet 2 where Steve Coogan is imparting some words of wisdom to a Tuscon-born student: "You know, Chuy, you're going to have an amazing life. Because wherever you go, it'll always be better than Tuscon." I kind of feel like this trip will be a really great one, because whatever we do, we won't be doing it in Utah.

*Sassy*

No comments:

Post a Comment