Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Childhood Doppelgänger Has Been Found!

I was just checking the Library of Congress photostream on Flickr (like you do), and I came across this lovely photograph from the Bain New Service.


Apparently, these are the children of somebody named H.P. Whitney. Aside from looking like a behind-the-scenes photo from a certain Hailey Mills movie from the sixties that I saw a few too many times as a child, there was one detail that caught my eye:


This kid.

Now, I can't say I'm either particularly straight-acting or swishy in adulthood but, as a kid, I was very girly. Sensitive, you might say. I was fortunate to be able to hang on to it long enough before various oppressive influences (Jordan Middle School, Jane Lathrob Standford Middle School, Boy Scouts) made me change my ways pretty significantly. This little boy is me from that era, right down to the limp eye-lids and high black socks with light colored shorts!

Thank you again, Library Congress. Who knew an institution of the American Government could make life so worth living?

No comments:

Post a Comment