Monday, June 22, 2009

'Angels' Devilishly Fresh, Fun

Last Thursday, I went out to Casito del Campo, a Mexican restaurant tucked away in the hills of Silverlake. I've eaten there before, and recommend it, but this time I was there to see a show in the basement.

That's right. A show. In the basement. "Some thing with latin drag queens being " was the jist of it. I took a deep breath, squeezed into a tiny seat between my date and the Asian mother of one of the secondary performers' friends, and got ready to be thoroughly bored and insulted.

In fact, the exact opposite happened. Why? I was witnessing a performance of Chico's Angels, a long-running but woefully neglected take on the 1970's television show Charlie's Angels, only with latin drag queens Kay Sedia, Freida Laye and Chita Parole. One of four episodes (or so I think I heard), this particular show sent them on the Love Boat, where they attempt to apprehend the culprit behind several attempts on the life of Coochie Coochie mistress Charo (jes, that Charo). Along the way, there are probably 25 musical numbers (with terrific choreography), several simulated slow-motion 'NNNNOOOOOOOO!' moments, and some surprising, delightful sight gags.

Love Boat Chicas (that's the name of the show) is. like most drag comedy, a collection raunchy double entendres, ethnic stereotypes (i.e. Latino men preening in dresses) and 1970's pop culture references. It just does it all so freakin' well that the past 25 years or so of bad drag queens and self-loving attempts at camp humor are forgiven. I haven't laughed so hard at something I normaly can't stand since the last Brian DePalma movie. This time, I was laughing with them.

El cho, Love Boat Chicas, runs through July 19, with a possible extention, but more importantly, is so worth getting over the hill to see. Oh, and buy their T-shirts and stuff. They need money, ok?

http://www.chicosangels.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment