Monday, April 6, 2009

More Hammer and Comics

I got a new job. Don't get excited, it's a one-day thing sorting my friend Kevin's comic book collection. Too bad it won't be a regular thing since it actually pays better than my last temp assignment.

Like most comic book people, my friend's backlog of comics is sprawling. He left me alone in his house for a few hours while he ran errands (was this wise? he will never know) but it did manage to plow through three long boxes, which were completely out of order, and sort everything into stacks. I kind of wish I had taken a picture.


The night before, I dragged the same friend to the Hammer to see something called He Fell In Love with His Wife, a VERY primitive movie from 1915. Those of you who are up with your 'who's who' in silent Hollywood annals will recognize the name of the director, William Desmond Taylor. Very few of his movies survive, and this particular one, which has been preserved, strikes me as not the best example of his work, although it has some nice moments. It suffers from many classic silent film problems: unbelievable plot (woman suffers amnesia after finding out her husband is a bigamist - well, I didn't buy it), really stiff acting and mugging at the camera, funny romantic scenes, precious few closeups. The lead actress, Florence Rockwell (below center), is kind of a butterface. It was, however, short (59 minutes), light on the reading, and Kevin described it as 'delightful.' As much as I enjoyed seeing it, too, it was the first time in a while that I've worried about whether or not my date was bored.


Tonight, the man's indulging me further and we're hitting a double feature: the Amos n' Andy comedy Check and Double Check (which promises to be a total cringe-fest), and another movie with a title that my friends have said is very me: Pointed Heels. Oh, how alluring. I wonder if the color sequence from that one (yes, THE color sequence) has been uploaded to youtube by the same magical wizard person who has access to scenes from 1931's illusive Dixiana. If so, I could steal it and make it part of my post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment